My Blog List

Wednesday 4 December 2013

Ethiopia fifty-eighth day - 21/11/13 otherwise known as 13/03/2006 in Ethiopia!

Nazret To Addis Ababa
Yesterday I spent the day at school then travelled up to Addis Ababa (the capital city) around 3.30pm. The bus was 30 Birr, I was in direct sun, so hot and sweaty. It had what can only be described as red fur on the ceiling at the front and the music was very loud. A mixture of Craig David, Santana, Jenifer Lopez and Ja Rule - 90's techno meets Arabian nights! I got off the bus in the middle of nowhere to many tauts trying to charge me a ridiculous price (for Ethiopia) to get to the hotel I had my eye on. I asked a traffic policeman for help and he pointed me in the right direction. I got off the minibus again not knowing where I was and a guy said he'd walk me to my hotel. To avoid the usual conversation I spoke Spanish to him so then all he talked about was Barcelona football club! I'm trying to use more Amharic but it's hard, I ate pizza for dinner and was in bed by 9.30pm.
Addis Ababa To Bahir Dar
i woke up at 4.30am to eat my left over pizza as I had been warned that the buses don't stop on their ten hour stretches. I got a taxi to the bus station with no clue what to do and the helpful people directed me to a Level 1 bus which would have me there by 10 (aka 4pm). We finally left at 6.30am (the buses don't go until every seat is taken) only to stop at the gate for an hour (no clue why!!!). I am the centre of attention being the only "farangi" on the bus. Again the music was horrendously loud and began with Shaggy 'It wasn't me'. The winding road had spectacular views but the bus had no cool air (I was stuck between two men who seemed to snack the whole way there). We did stop for lunch but I didn't get off (knowing I couldn't eat local food easily) and used the time to stretch out and sleep. The man to the left of me had very bad breath which I had to turn to avoid and the man on my right had a massive towel on his head for most of the journey, the lady in front however, spoke very good English and became my translator for everyone who wanted to ask me questions. She told me the bus was hard and I agreed - on my bottom! She helps me to find a bajaj when we get off which wants to overcharge me, so the sweet kind lady walks me to the Hotel - thank goodness for the kindness of strangers. Only one room left, with lots of mosquitoes so I ate and sleep with my new little friends ready to explore Bahir Dar the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment