My Blog List

Wednesday 4 December 2013

Ethiopia fifty-ninth day - 22/11/13 otherwise known as 14/03/2006 in Ethiopia!

Bahir Dar
After a quiet night in at the hotel - me and the mosquitoes were awake about 1am - I can't stand that buzzing in my ears! I wandered over to reception to tell them I wanted my spectacular room for one more night and the hotel taut (Solomon) asked if I wanted the lake tour (they were leaving in 20 minutes). I asked for a takeaway egg sandwich, then headed back to my room for cash and camera! 30 minutes later we were on the lake with our Captain Mizanu (meaning "balance" - excellent name for a boat captain). He had the most amazing hair - apparently not styled but looking and staying like that naturally!! He took us to the Zege Penisular - we went to various monasteries including one for nuns only ( I bought a scarf there). Further on down the lake we saw pelicans and hippos along with the local men kayaking on papyrus boats (a 4hr journey) from their island to Bahir Dar to deliver goods to the market.  Looks like a lot of hard work and Mizanu said the boats only last 3 months before cracking to pieces and they have to make another one. I met some nice people on the boat tour, Marisa from South Africa and Anne-Marie and Matteus from Switzerland. Me and Marisa are headed to Gonder tomorrow after a trip to the Blue Nile waterfall. I had a burger and chips for lunch and nile fish and chips for dinner - all in all a most expensive day but who cares - I'm enjoying myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment