My Blog List

Monday 30 September 2013

Ethiopia Third day - 29/09/13 otherwise known as 19/01/2006 in Ethiopia!

I didn't sleep very well last night and woke continuously until about 4am when I dozed off. I finally emerged from the bottom bunk at 10am to a nice cup of tea and injera with something (are you getting the food theme here yet!). By the way, knives and forks aren't used here, you must wash your hands before eating and then the right hand (all fingers and thumb) is used to mush up a wad of food before you stuff it into your mouth. It is not appropriate to lick your fingers, which are washed at the end of the meal.


I went around to the KG1 school with Stephanie where Dawit was welding the shade for the playground which we helped to clear of sticks and stones, then returned for lunch-guess what that was. The children and Dawits' mother arrived from Addis Ababa shortly after we ate and they all looked tired after a weekend of fun with their cousins. Dawit then took me to look at some accommodation. First stop - a small guest house near the Purple Palm - a cafe which Dawit joint owns. This was very small and so we went to see more. Three guest houses later and I picked a room for the night! I may move tomorrow to check out the competition. The rooms are literally a few houses away from Stephanie and Dawits' place and not far from school. So I nipped back for dinner and spent some time interacting with the children. First day of school tomorrow - Can't wait to see what it shall bring!
THINGS I LEARNT TODAY:
Not only horses can be seen on the streets of Nazret, donkey's, goats, cows and dogs can too!
It is illegal to travel with suitcases on the back seat of your car!

No comments:

Post a Comment