My Blog List

Monday 30 September 2013

Ethiopia Fourth day - 30/09/13 otherwise known as 20/01/2006 in Ethiopia!

Today I was up at 6am ready for school! I walked down to Stephanie and Dawits for my usual breakfast of bread (not injera this morning!) and something which reassembled baked beans but clearly had berbere (local spices) inside as my tongue tingled! It was 25 degrees inside this morning. After that we made the twenty minute walk to the Grade School which Stephanie and Dawit's children go to, opened it up and Stephanie went through the plans and introduced me to all the teachers. Then we headed to the New Far School to see how they were getting on. We stayed there all morning and I got my first experience of EAL in Ethiopia. I played some matching and jigsaw games with the Kindergarten class and helped them to paint for the first time - it's amazing giving a child a paintbrush who has never held one before!  Then I moved up the the higher grades and helped out with a science lesson in Amharic about labelling the body parts. After the children had finished their work they were allowed to play on the carpet and again I helped out as they experienced Barbie and Ken dolls for the first time! Needless to say, they did not want to put them down to go to break time but the new football I brought helped ease that pain!
We then went back into class and I lead an English class on the body parts - we sung head, shoulders, knees and toes and the children wrote down the English names next to a picture of the body. I then observed Stephanie teaching a maths lesson in Amharic.


We returned home late for lunch (now 31 degrees in the house), then Stephanie stayed there to home school her two children (as she does every afternoon) and me and Dawit headed to the KG1 school to take cement and have a look around. I joined in a a short number lesson before the end of the day and then headed back to the Solomon guest house to discuss my rate and see if the internet was working. As you can see, it is and I've decided to stay here (for about 6 pounds a day). I'm going to head down to the house to see what they are up to.
THINGS I LEARNT TODAY
Quas means ball in Amharic - lots of children asking for those on the way to school as we walked with them
There are not many mosquitoes in Nazret and they mainly come out after 6pm - whoop whoop!


No comments:

Post a Comment