My Blog List

Monday 14 October 2013

Ethiopia Eighteenth day - 14/10/13 otherwise known as 04/02/2006 in Ethiopia!

Lots to blog about since the last time I managed to get on here, I've been very busy in school and spent Friday with the little ones from 3-6yrs. They are cute! Especially when you start playing on the carpet alongside them.








After much fun with the little ones, I headed home to an empty house as everyone had gone up to Addis in preparation for Mike's arrival early Saturday morning. He came from the UK and is trying to help organise the fund raising side of things for Stephanie and Dawit. He's staying at the same place as me so I now have a neighbour I know! Upon his arrival, me and Dawit set to work on a new computer room which was to be inspected today by an organisation providing computers for the school. It's all ready now and the man came to see it so we should get IT going soon.


 On Sunday, me and Mike went on a mini adventure to a place called Sodere. A resort just outside of town. We got the bus (albeit the wrong one) and then saw the sign and got off, only to realise we had another 5km to walk. After an hour and a half walking in the hot sun, taking in the scenery and many photographs later, we arrived at the place! I enjoyed some fried chicken and chips and was faced with a very adept monkey who stole two bread rolls from right on the table in front of us! We then went for a dip in the Olympic size swimming pool and headed back to the guest house on the correct bus!
Ethiopia played Nigeria in the world cup qualifier at 4pm so everyone was in the colours with painted faces and shouting loudly in anticipation of the game. Unfortunately they lost 2:1 due to a penalty in the last few minutes - fortunately today we hear that they drew 2:2 as the referee should not have disallowed a goal in the first half. It is the first time I have ever known a score to be changed, so roll on the next game!








THINGS I LEARNT:
Some more Amharic - Neh = Come (f) Nah = Come (m) Ishi = OK, Salam = Hello, Autobus = Bus, Chow = Goodbye, getting there now!
Most Ethiopians don't know how to swim, they are not taught as children and many do not get into a swimming pool until they are adults - the ones that do stay in the shallow part and hang around at the side of the pool.



No comments:

Post a Comment