My Blog List

Wednesday 2 October 2013

Ethiopia Sixth day - 02/10/13 otherwise known as 22/01/2006 in Ethiopia!

Today I woke up and began to get myself ready for the day when the power went out. Never mind, washing and brushing teeth by torchlight is always fun! Injera and something for breakfast, washed down with nice hot black tea boiled on the gas cooker of course.

We walked to the grade school and I began the day doing circle time activities with grade 3. Lots of fun, I think they have the children with the most English in that class. My mission today was to sort out the library a little to make it easier to gather resources in the morning. The ministry did a spot check and many rooms had to be swapped around so the resources are in a bit of disarray. Afterwards I went over to Grade 1 to help out with their maths lesson - simple addition, again lots of fun, they love getting red ticks from me! Shortly after this it began to rain and did not stop until lunch time which meant that the playground was one big muddy puddle - not that it stopped the children playing - I watch a little girl splash right from one end of the playground to the other and then stamp off the wet (her feet must have been soaking), I suppose there is nothing better than a muddy puddle! We didn't go home for lunch and so I enjoyed my date jam sandwich and went into the Eating Room to see what the children were having. I was very surprised to see lots of pasta being consumed and of course... injera!




I dipped in on grade two this afternoon and helped out with a lesson on number ordering, they were very good at it - especially when I started writing excellent on their work and the teacher got the stickers out! After school there was a tiny chick at the bottom of the tree in the playground so we all spent some time watching it and discussing it's fate.
Me and the children went back to KG on the school service and then I walked them home, after which I ducked into the guest house to have a shower and unfortunately again the power went out, so it was cold :-( I went down for a lovely dinner of rice, pasta and sauce with a fork!!! and ate so much that my belly hurts.

THINGS I LEARNT TODAY:
Rain does NOT stop play in Africa
There are a few nasty spiders here I should look out for and kill if I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment